You might want to get a new domain if you think you don’t have a good one. There could be a time when you already have a good domain but are not happy with your registrar. In such cases, the need to transfer your domain arises. And it is very well possible to do so. However, this can either become an arduous task or a piece of cake, depending on the registrar you want to transfer authorization. While you are doing so, you have to make sure that your domain name is operational and that your domain is safe.
It is not that tricky to transfer your domain to GoDaddy. You have to fulfill some steps with your current registrar and a few with GoDaddy.
Before you proceed with the transfer process, make sure you have added DNS hosting to your domain. This is to manage your nameservers and DNS zone files in GoDaddy after you are done with your transfer process.
Follow these steps to add your DNS hosting and change nameservers at your present registrar:
- The first step is to log into your My Products space.
- In case you are not automatically directed, you have to click the My Products tab.
- Proceeding further, select Manage All.
- A DNS menu will appear. Click on Add DNS Hosting.
- Enter the name of the domain you want to manage with DNS Hosting in the Domain Name field. Click Next.
- You will then be prompted with a new set of nameservers.
- You have to contact your present registrar then to update your brand new nameservers.
Once you have updated your nameservers, you have to allow 4 to 8 hours until other networks access information for .net and .com domain names. Also, you have to wait 24 to 48 hours for other systems so they can access information for all the other domain extensions for you.
- After the updating of the nameservers at your present registrar, select Manage DNS to access the DNS management page.
- Below the Nameservers section, your nameservers will look something like:
After you have accessed your DNS files, you are ready with the transfer process.
Steps you will need to complete with your current registrar:
- Unlock your domain name.
- Obtain an authorization code or transfer key from your current registrar. It could be information you will have to request for it, following which they will e-mail you your transfer key)
- Verify your contact information. You have to confirm that the administrator’s domain and contact information is correct.
- Get your Protected Registration canceled. If your domain has a Protected Registration, you will have to cancel it to proceed further. This might vary between registrars so that you can check it up with your current registrar for details.
Steps you will need to complete with GoDaddy:
- Purchase a domain name transfer from GoDaddy website. In case option to transfer is not available for you, they will send you a message.
In case you have purchased a .ca, .es, .eu, .uk, .se, or .au, you will have to check it up with their respective “About” since transfer methods might not be same for all.
- After purchasing the transfer, you will be prompted a notification to Unlock the domain and Get authorization code.
- Enter authorisation code after being prompted with the same and check out.
It will take about 7 to 10 days for your transfer process to be complete.
If you want to transfer your domain name from one GoDaddy account to another, follow these steps:
- Supposing you have enabled Protected Registration for your domain name, you have to cancel it before you can continue further. The same goes if you have enabled two-step verification for your GoDaddy account.
- An email will be sent to you by GoDaddy with further instructions.
- Finish confirmation of domain name move in not more than ten days. In case you do, the transaction time will be over, and you will have to initiate everything all over again.
Keep in mind that your domain name is in active status when you are transferring accounts. A domain name which is active in status but its expiration date is over, will not let you continue with the process further. To ensure fraud protection, domains which want to switch accounts are given a ten-day transfer lock period.
If yours is a newly registered .info domain, you will be given a five day hold period until you can initiate the transfer process.
Log in and follow these steps to proceed further:
- Hover to Domain Settings page.
- Select Transfer domain to another GoDaddy account under Additional Settings.
- You will be prompted with a window displaying Begin Account Change.
- You will then enter and re-enter your recipient’s Email address. The email address has to be the same which was used for shopper account contact email and not the email address of the domain administrator.
- If you have the recipient’s customer number, enter the same in the details.
- Bear in mind that if you do not have the contact number of the recipient, you can skip it and click Enter new details.
- You will be prompted with three options in the Domain’s contact information. You have to select one from the given and furnish the information required of the registrant. Select Do Not Change if you want to continue with the same information which you provided already.
- Click on Keep the current nameservers for this domain if you want to reserve the existing nameservers of the domain name. If you do not do so, GoDaddy will retain the domain name whenever the registrant activates the new account.
- Click on the Next option.
- A menu will appear where you may or may not select the Enter new details. In case you have, just furnish your the registrant’s new details (Name, Address, Country, Phone, etc.)
- After completing this step, you will be prompted with the Domain Name Change of Registrant Agreement. It is suggested that you read that correctly before selecting I have read and agreed to the Domain Name Change option.
- You will be required to allow a 60-day lockdown in case you want to change the First Name, Last Name, or the Organization. This lockdown does not apply to.au domain name.
- In case you want to transfer your domain name within this lockdown period, you decline the Change of Registrant. And then proceed with transferring your domain name, the steps of which are mentioned above.
- After that, you have to update the Organization, First name, or Last name fields.
- Otherwise, you can click on I understand that, if I want to transfer this domain.
- Select Finish.
Congratulations! You have successfully transferred your domain to GoDaddy seamlessly. All you needed is a little patience.